Monday, November 26, 2012

Doug Briney: The Alaskan Cowboy

Photo provided by MTS Management Group

A country singer from Alaska? Sure, he probably gets that a lot, but Doug Briney is definitely as country as they come.  You can  hear it in his songs and voice, the way he relates to the music and fans just the way a country heart does.  His latest single “More Than Just a Farm” puts that country heart on display with a tale of a lifestyle being so much more than just a farm. And as a pastor, Doug also has a unique perspective to bring to the table.

He has been so kind as to take a few minutes of his time to talk about how life as a pastor has influenced his life as a country performer.  He also discusses what kinds of comments a motorcycle riding cowboy gets while traveling for days at a time.  So, take a look at what he has to say and then visit his website to checkout some of Doug’s music.

1.  You say that “More Than Just a Farm” was chosen because it speaks to you on a personal level.  Would you mind elaborating?

It was the fist song picked out for the CD because I relate to it. When I was young, my grandfather owned a farm in South Central Illinois . I grew up in southern California, but I spent my 13th year on the farm. I was excited about farm life and learning everything about it--until Grandma woke me up at 5:30 in the morning banging pots pans, shouting like a drill sergeant.  But after I got used to that, I learned about tractors, how to slaughter pigs, milk cows, all the work involved in running a farm. So, the song just reminded me of the farm.

2.  Please tell me about the “Let’s Get Riding” Motorcycle Tour.

Well, that was actually done this past summer. It was fun with music to be able to connect with fans. I have four children, and the twin 14 year old boys got to go spend time with their grandfather where he grew up in California. Dad is 82 years old and a full time caregiver of an uncle, so they went to go visit with him and I went to leave the kids there. I wanted the kids to experience some things that they maybe would not have been able to experience. Dad used to take the other kids sailing to Catalina and I wanted the boys to experience some of the things that I had and that the other kids did when dad wasn't caring for my uncle.

So, we took the road form Anchorage all the way down to California, with radio interviews along the way and impromptu concerts at places like gas stations. Then I got to spend 5 days with dad, the boys, and my daughter.  We stopped on the way back and met a cousin that I had never met before, so that was nice. Found out he runs a recovery center, and I toured the facility. I actually came in and did a concert at 11 P.M. until about midnight.  It was neat to watch the crowds gather.  All and all, we covered 7,622 miles in just under 12 days of riding.

3.  Did you get comments about being a cowboy on a motorcycle?

Actually, I built my own trailer to pull behind the motorcycle, a small teardrop trailer. I would pull up and take off my hat, but I got more comments on the trailer than anything else.  When I pulled my guitar and song system out of it crowds came quickly.

4.  How does being a pastor influence your and music?

My faith can’t be separated from my music.  It is a huge part of who I am. Being a pastor and trying to do music makes it a little more difficult in some regards, though. I’d like to do a lot more touring but need to be in church on Sunday mornings, so that makes it a little rough, but at the same, it time opens up more opportunities for me because part of faith is having a good work ethic, and being respectful of people, and showing up and doing what I said I would do.  Just getting out and touring is probably the hardest thing, but being a pastor has not hindered me. . . I don’t know if it has hindered or helped in either way, just a part of who I am. It comes out in how I treat people and hopefully in how I sing the songs and show respect for those I come in contact with.

5.  Your sound is not exactly what one calls traditional country, but it is not non-traditional either. And it is not southern gospel.

It is not southern gospel, but not main stream either. I call it positive country.  It goes back to how being a pastor influences my music. I want to challenge people with music to do better at life.

6.  What can fans expect from you in the future?

Hopefully, more touring. We’re trying to line up more touring outside of Alaska so that we can be interacting with the fans outside of Alaska. The other thing we are working on is an EP.  Also, to put a release out this spring along with the EP.

I want to select the right songs that I can believe in and can sing that fans will relate to. I also want to get to know the fans a little better and them me.

We just singed with CBM records and are doing very well. I am very excited about distributing the music with them. I will continue working with MTS management as well.

7.  Is there anything else you would like fans to know?

I appreciate all the nominations for the music. If folks like it, they can find it at dougbriney.com and connect to Facebook and Twitter from there. I do respond to tweets and messages. I love to interact with folks that way.  I enjoy interacting and hearing form them, so please feel free to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment